We love to use almond milk as a base liquid for our smoothies. Store bought almond milks are full of additives and can be pricey. With a blender, some cheesecloth, and a handful of ingredients, you can create your own healthier dairy-free milk alternative at home.
Prep Time - 5 Minutes
Servings - 1 Quart
- 1 Cup Raw Almonds
- 8 Cups Filtered Water, Divided
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt, Divided
- 1 Small Date, Pitted
- Place the almonds in a bowl with 4 cups of the filtered water and 1/8 teaspoon of the sea salt. Soak for 10 hours overnight.
- Drain the nuts and rinse well. Transfer the nuts to a blender and fill with the remaining 4 cups of filtered water. Add the pitted date and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon sea salt and puree until smooth.
- Strain the milk through a mesh sieve lined with 2 layers of cheesecloth or a nut milk bag. Squeeze the bag or use a spoon to press down on the nut pulp in the sieve and remove all the liquid.
- Store the milk in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.